Saturday 26th May, 2018
31
29 ℃ | Karachi
subway-in-southern-china-caves-in-leaving-eight-dead

Subway in southern China caves in leaving eight dead

Sheetal Sukhija - Friday 9th February, 2018

BEIJING, China - Eight people were killed and three remained missing after a subway construction site in southern China collapsed on Thursday.

The subway line construction site in southern China caved in, and while nine people were rescued, eight others died in the incident. 

The Foshan municipal government, which forms the industrial heartland of Guangdong province, and is close to the financial hub of Hong Kong, said in a statement post the incident that the collapse occurred at 8.40pm.

The government added in its statement that nine workers were rescued and were in stable condition.

According to China’s state broadcaster CCTV, the site of the collapse was in a central area of the city beneath an eight-lane road. 

According to CCTV, an area the size of two basketball courts sunk to a depth of 6 metres.

Further, the report stated that water had been entering the site from leaks in pipes, which workers attempted to plug but ultimately caused a burst that led to the collapse.

Officials said that the line under construction runs for 23km through the city north of the provincial capital of Guangzhou and the rapid expansion of subway networks in Chinese cities has been blamed for frequent incidents of cave-ins.

More Karachi News

Access More
Loading data...
{{item.TITLE}}

{{item.SOURCE}}

Karachi News.Net

{{item.TITLE}}

{{item.SOURCE}}

Karachi News.Net

Sign up for Karachi News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!